Yields 8 servings
6 large egg yolks
1 cup sugar
1 1/4 cup (280 grams) mascarpone cheese – room temperature
1 1/4 cup (315 ml) heavy whipping cream
2 -7 oz packages Italian Lady fingers (Savoiardi brand if possible)
1 cup cold espresso (Nescafe Azera espresso if possible)
1/4 cup dark rum
Cocoa powder for dusting
- Combine egg yolks and sugar in the top of a double boiler, over boiling water. Reduce heat to low, and cook for about 10 minutes, whisking constantly. This is your sabayon. Remove from the heat and whip until thick and lemon-colored. Allow to cool briefly.
- Add mascarpone to whipped yolks, mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whip cream to stiff peaks.
- Gently fold the whipped cream in the mascarpone sabayon mixture and set aside.
- Mix the cold espresso with the rum and dip the ladyfingers into the mixture just long enough to get them wet (2 seconds) do not soak them!
- Arrange ladyfingers in the bottom of a 9-inch square baking dish, really squeeze as many lady fingers in as you can in each layer.
- Spoon half the mascarpone cream filling over the ladyfingers.
- Repeat process with another layer of ladyfingers.
- Add another layer of tiramisu cream.
- Refrigerate overnight. Can be served after 5 hours but it really isn’t the same dish at all.
- Dust with cocoa before serving. Bon appétit!