Yields 6 cups
3 pounds butternut squash (about 2 large)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 tablespoons butter
1 small onion, chopped
1 tart apple, peeled, cored, and cubed (granny smith if you can find them)
3 cups chicken stock
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
8 ounces (225 grams) cream cheese
- Prepare squash. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil. Remove skin from squash and remove seeds. Cut into rough pieces. Rub with olive oil and bake for 40 minutes until fork tender. Halfway through cooking mix garlic in and continue baking.
- Melt butter in a large soup pot. Add onions and apples and cook until soft.
- Add squash, chicken stock, and spices. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Stir in cream cheese. With an immersion blender, mix soup until creamy.
- Serve with warmed crusty bread. Bon appétit!
**Note: Everyone says to bake squash skin on as the skin comes right off after its done. This takes an eternity to bake, cool, and then peel. I prefer to cut the skin off, cut the squash into rough pieces, cover in oil, and then bake. You get your arm workout in and save time… win win! P.s. wear gloves if you can, raw squash leaves a super glue feel on the hands.